Cheryl M. Spilka
Cheryl M. Spilka has been dedicated to the exclusive practice of Divorce and Family Law for over 25 years. She is a Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney and is a Qualified Mediator pursuant to R. 1:40. Ms. Spilka understands that going through a Divorce or Family Law matter is extremely emotional and challenging. Her compassion to her clients is unparalleled and allows her to provide zealous and knowledgeable legal advice in the most difficult of cases.
As a result of Ms. Spilka’s she has been recognized on the New Jersey Super Lawyer list by New Jersey Super Lawyers® every year from 2005.* In 2005 she was the recipient of the prestigious Martin S. Goldin Family Law Award. In 2019 Ms. Spilka was once again honored and received the coveted Edward Schoifet Family Law Award. Ms. Spilka is the only attorney in the history of the Middlesex County Bar Association to receive both the Goldin and the Schoifet Family Law Awards. She has an AV® Distinguished Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, which is an honor bestowed upon only a small percentage of attorneys.
In addition to the honors and accolades listed above Ms. Spilka was a law clerk to the Hon. Joyce E. Munkacsi and served on the New Jersey Supreme Court District Ethics Committee VIII from 1999 – 2016. Since 1993, Ms. Spilka has also volunteered her time as a panelist attorney for the Early Settlement Program and Blue Ribbon Early Settlement Program. Ms. Spilka is also frequently appointed by the Court as a Divorce Mediator and is listed on the qualified mediator list.
Ms. Spilka is a member of Middlesex County Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. She proudly serves clients throughout New Jersey including, but not limited to, Middlesex, Monmouth, Somerset, and Union Counties.
Areas of Practice
- Matrimonial law
- Family law
- Child Custody
- Visitation rights
- Child Support
- Step parent adoptions
- Domestic violence
- Family law mediation
- Divorce Mediation
- Divorce Arbitration
- Post-Divorce Modification
- Collaborative Divorce
- New Jersey, 1991
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1991
- Certified Matrimonial Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1998–present
- Qualified Family Law Mediator
- Recipient, Edward Schoifet Family Law Award, 2019
- AV® Distinguished Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recipient, Martin S. Goldin Family Law Award, 2005
- New Jersey Super Lawyer 2005- present
- Seton Hall University, J.D.
- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, M.S.
- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, B.A., cum laude
- Middlesex County Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Other Biographical Details
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Law Clerk, Hon. Joyce E. Munkacsi, Superior Court, New Jersey
- New Jersey Supreme Court District Ethics Committee VIII, 1999–2016
- Early Settlement Program Panelist and Blue Ribbon Early Settlement Panelist, 1993–present
- Middlesex County Family Part Court House Committee
- Barrister, Joseph Halpern American Inns of Court
- New Jersey Collaborative Law Alliance
*Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. This selection process includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. The Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state. To be eligible for inclusion in Rising Stars, a candidate must be either 40 years old or younger, or in practice for 10 years or less. No aspect of the advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
Elizabeth Rozin-Golinder Has Been Included in the 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®Read More
My Ex is Threatening Bankruptcy if I File for New Jersey DivorceRead More
The Dangers of Hiding Assets in New Jersey DivorceRead More
New Jersey Marriage Equality Now Written into State LawRead More
Cohabitation Will Cut New Jersey Alimony ShortRead More
What Doesn’t Go In a Prenup?Read More
Do You Need a Mediator for Prenuptial Agreement?Read More
Can Irreconcilable Differences be Challenged as Cause for New Jersey Divorce?Read More